Who would have thought that with a bundles of fresh kale, some pecans and just a handful of other ingredients you can have a savory, satisfying Caesar Salad that’s packed with nutrition and flavor and free of dairy and eggs!
Just a general overview of the many benefits of this salad:
Kale – High in vitamins A, K and C, high chlorophyll content, high in glucosinolates, cancer-fighter, anti-oxidant rich, .
Lemons – High in vitamin C, potassium which stimulates brain and nerve function, aids in digestion. The acidity of the lemons helps neutralize the pungent quality of the garlic.
Garlic – Contains powerful chemical allicin which serves as an antibiotic and potent agent helps the body inhibit the ability of germs to grow and reproduce.
Pecans – Rich in magnesium, known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Can help reduce blood pressure, stroke risk and have anti-cancer properties.
Nutritional Yeast – Great source of vitamin B12, offers a yummy, cheesy flavor.
Recipe by Laura A. Bushey, MAT, Certified Health Educator and Personal Holistic Chef with Kitchen of Life. For more about Laura click here.
How to Make a Kale Caesar with Pecan 'Parmesan' Crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread your pecans on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven for 10-20 minutes, checking regularly after 10 minutes.
- Wash and de-stem, and chop your kale into bite sized pieces.
- Juice your lemon - you should have ~ 1/4 to 1/2 cup of juice total. Strain to remove seeds.
- Crush 4-5 fresh garlic cloves.
- Pour the lemon juice over the garlic to neutralize the pungent quality of the fresh-garlic. Your pecans should be done about now.
- Pulse the pecans in a small food processor until small crumbs form. Be careful not to overprocess or you'll end up separating the oil from the nut meat.
- Add 4 Tbs Nutritional Yeast and pulse again to combine.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the kale and massage to coat the leaves. Add a little extra kale at this point, if desired.
- Add the lemon juice and garlic mixture. You may not need it all - start with adding half and then taste and add the rest as needed. Toss to coat.
- Add your pecan parmesan crumbles and toss.
- Add salt and pepper to taste or any other mix-ins you prefer.